Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Wednesday Weigh In

I didn't loose any weight this week, but I did measure around my rib cage and I have lost three inches since making healthy changes! I'm not giving up just because of a slow week.

Yesterday I had to take my Certified Nursing Assistant State Exams. I first had to take the skills test in which I had to prove I could accuratly take blood pressure readings and other vital signs and then record them accuratly. I also had to show how to care for a person in a given senario. I did pretty well and I think I passed, but I have to wait for 5-10 days to get the results in the mail. I also had to take a 100 question multiple choice exam. That was the easy part. I also think I did great on that one as well.

The main reason why I am bringing this up is because during the skills test, I discovered that my tachycardia may be acting up again. Tachycardia is a fast heart rate. I have it as a reaction to the medicine Strattera for my ADD. I've had to lower my dosage of this medicine to keep my heart rate at an acceptible level. During my skills test, there was another student taking her test at the same time. The Registered Nurse and the student each took one of my arms and counted my pulse rate as part of the exam for the student. Then they compared the rates after having written it down. They did this three times. Mine was an average of 118 beats a minute. This is pretty fast for sitting down, even if you are doing an exam. Coincidentaly, the first time I found I had problems with my heart is during my classes as a CNA student when I was pregnant with Dallin. The RN back then told me I should get it looked at.

I followed her advice and began working with a cardiologist. If you think it is hard sleeping while you are seven months pregnant, try adding a bunch of wires and tape to your chest and belly while being monitored with an EKG for a couple of days. NOT FUN! Back then my heart rate was around 120 beats a minute ALL DAY LONG! The cardiologist said that is like running a marathon all the time. It's hard on your heart. Then to top off everything, my doctor said this is the same reaction I would have to all of the medicines for ADD. That is why lowering my dosage was the option I chose back then. Now I have no more options except to stop taking the medicine since I think I am at the lowest dosage. I will have to check on it. Anyway, getting to a healthier weight will be easier on my heart, so I am happy that I am making the changes I need to.

Hopefully, I can get this resolved soon. Having tachycardia zaps your energy and I think this is why I haven't felt like exercising. Also, heart problems tend to make you hold onto water in your body more which may account for not loosing much weight recently. I hope you can take something in this post and use it in your life. Cross your fingers that I passed my tests! I will then be certified for two years!

2 comments:

Denise G said...

Yikes, glad you were taking the test, so you can get things looked at before there is long term damage. Great work on the measurements. You are right the scale is not everything. It's babystep that get us in the right direction. Best of all they will all add up.

PS. You have inspired me. I started walking three weeks ago and charting my meals on www.fitday.com. First two weeks were a success, but this last week was not. But I am determined to go forward slowly, small steps at a time in the right direction. Thank you.

Angie said...

Good for you about losing the inches! Some weeks it will be that way and thats ok. I hope you did pass your test that will be great! That is a scary thing to have your heart beating that fast but Im glad you are getting things checked out:) Have a good weekend!