Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Interesting Holiday Facts....


I was watching an afternoon news show on NBC and they presented a few interesting holiday eating facts on their segment "Who Knew". The first one I payed attention to was how many calories an average slice of pumpkin, apple, and pecan pie has. The pumpkin pie slice was the lowest at 180 calories, then came the apple at a whopping 400 calories. The pecan topped the list at 470 calories! The main reason the apple has so many calories is that it has the extra crust on the top. The pecan pie gets its calories from the nuts which are high in fat(but still healthy when eaten in moderation).

The next good tidbit I found from the show is that the National Institute For Health says that most Americans gain an average of 5-10 pounds between Thanksgiving and New Years! Wow.... if I can get to Christmas without gaining weight, then I am doing better than most Americans! Here's to a challenge that may give us purpose to lose weight this season!

1 comment:

Angie said...

Wow I had no idea they had that many calories! I use to eat them like it was no big deal. I am glad i am trying to watch what I eat. We still have christmas and new years but I know we can do it!